Top Bar Navigation

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Adaptive Skating and Overcoming Obstacles

Back in April, I attended the WCMX World Championships and Adaptive Skate Competition in Grand Prairie, Texas. It was a two days event I believe (I could be wrong), where athletes from all over the world came to compete. It was a really cool event because I was watching things I had never seen before. These athletes were dropping into the quarter pipes, transitions and grinding rails while in wheelchairs. It blew my mind and with my job as a Physical Therapist, I was all for it!

 


Lucky me, I had a friend who drove into town to compete in the adaptive skate competition. It was good to see Matthew Hawkins and hang out with him. I hadn't seen Matt skate in person before, just some videos here and there. Well he was super nice enough to introduce me to the rest of the skate team. All 8 of them were apart of the Adaptive Action Sports skate team and were friends who love to shred together. They come from all over the country and get together a few times a year for competitions or skate clinics.


Above: skaters from left to right: Jesse Swalley, Matthew Hawkins, Greg Shaw, Justin Beauchesne, Joel Goltry, Andrew Hale, Oscar Loreto Jr, Jon Comer.

The two days of hanging out with them was a hoot! These guys were so funny and had a story for just about everything! I was sad they had to leave so soon, because I was hoping to learn some shortboard from them while they were in town. I had Matt and Andrew skating longboards down the hill of the hotel on the first night, it was pretty fun.

If you want to read more about Adaptive Action Sports and my experience at the WCMX World Championships, click on the links below for AAS and SheShreds website where my write up can be located.

Click Here for Adaptive Action Sports Website

Click Here for SheShreds Post on WCMX

Thank you for reading, this topic is near and dear to me. Hope you enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment